Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Quickies

I've found a few pieces recently in blogland that are so on-target that the only way to do justice to them is with annotated links. So if you haven't seen these already, check them out:

Reverse Age Discrimination

Chad Orzel does a masterful job of slicing and dicing the single silliest argument I've read in a long time. When I read the IHE piece he attacks, I remember thinking that I couldn't really respond to it without seeming mean. But Chad manages to take the high road, even while artfully tearing the original author a richly-deserved new one. Nicely done.

Masculinism 101

Regular readers know that I consider Aunt B., at Tiny Cat Pants, a national treasure. In this post about gender politics and rape she makes so much sense that all I can do is tip my cap. As a father of a son and a daughter, I can only hope they grow up in the world she advocates.

With Idiocy Like This, Who Can I Vote For?

Aunt B. is on a roll. (Maybe it's the effect of some good sleep?) Here she points out -- with the all-too-rare gift she has of grasping what should be obvious -- that attaining universal health coverage through individual mandates is, what's the word I'm looking for, colossally insane. Sometimes when struggling young people don't buy health insurance, it's because...wait for it...it's too f-ing expensive! Who woulda thunk it? Then, when the young and healthy don't dilute the risk level of the pool, the cost for the rest of us goes up.

If only (single payer) there were some way (single payer) to cover everybody (single payer) that has been shown to work (single payer) at lower cost (single payer) in other countries (single payer). Not to worry -- our best minds in Washington are hard at work!

Sigh.

Happy reading!